How often should I worm my horse?
When considering a worming program for your horse we suggest you choose from the following three key areas.
CHOOSE FROM A, B, OR C
Stage of Life
Foal | Broodmare | Young Horse < 3yrs | Older Horse 20+ years.
Horse worming programs based on the stage of your horse's life.
Risk of Worm Burden Worming Programs
Mature Horse 3-19 years
Rotational horse worming program based on the risk of worm burden for your horse. (second row) Risk changes according to horse husbandry practices
FEC & Wormer
Worm Control Program
Fecal Egg Count + Wormers
Suitable for mature (3-19 yrs) horses and as suggested by the NSW DPI for grazing horses. Scheduled FEC and worming events throughout the year
A: Stage of Life Horse Worming Programs
C: Combined Fecal Egg Count & Wormer Worm Control Program
This is general information only and as all horses are different and we recommend you consult you veterinarian before commencing any worming program to determine the suitablity for your individual horse.
* The only way worm burden can be determined is through a Fecal Egg Count.
These programs were put together based on many different sources including:
• The American Association of Equine Practitioner (AAEP) parasite control guidelines (2013)
• NSW Department of Primary Industries Primefacts – Worm control in horses (2010)
• RIRDC Macrocyclic Lactone Resistance on Australian Horse Farms (2015)
• U-Vet Equine Centre Werribee Deworming Horses June 2017
• NSW Department of Primary Industries 'Worm Control In Horses - General Principle's (2017)